Pochero Recipe


Pochero is one of the most popular and favorite stew of many Filipinos. There are actually three variations of the Pochero Recipe: the pork, the beef, and the chicken pochero recipe. They are mostly prepared and cooked the same way and use the same ingredients too, but to make things simple I will be sharing with you more about my Chicken Pochero Recipe.

The first time I tried cooking Chicken Pochero way back in High School was a memorable and learning experience. It was at my third try that I actually learned that my Pochero was missing something. My first Pochero Recipe consisted of just three simple ingredients: the chicken, bokchoy(pechay), and plantain banana(saba). The taste was good but not good enough for me. After several experimentations, I discovered a secret ingredient that made my Chicken Pochero very delicious.

Here is my Chicken Pochero Recipe. Try it and see for yourself!

pochero-recipe

Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs chicken cut into pieces (thigh part)
  • 1/2 piece cabbage, quartered
  • bunch of bokchoy (pechay)
  • 1 medium sized potato, cubed
  • 2 large plantain(saba) banana
  • 1 large tomato, diced
  • 1 medium sized onion, diced
  • 2 tbsp whole pepper corn
  • 2 tbsp fish sauce
  • 1 tsp garlic
  • 1 small can tomato sauce
  • 1 cup garbanzos

Cooking Procedure:
  • Heat oil and fry the banana until color turns golden brown. Set aside when done.
  • Sauté the garlic, onion, and tomato
  • Add the Chicken and cook for 3-5 minutes
  • Add the fish sauce, tomato sauce, and whole pepper corn and mix well
  • Add the water and simmer until chicken is tender
  • Put-in the fried banana, potato, and garbanzos and simmer for 7 minutes
  • Add the cabbage and simmer for 5 minutes
  • Add the bok choy and turn off the heat. Cover the pot for 5 minutes to cook the bokchoy

Hot Tip:
  • Instead of regular potatoes, use sweet potato. (This is my secret ingredient)
  • Try adding long green beans together with the cabbage.



Comments