Adoboos


Meet Bernadette:
I am not your typical Filipina girl, as I am 6'0 tall! I was born and raised in the Bay Area and the second of two children. I grew up watching cooking shows like Yan Can Cook and The Frugal Gourmet on Saturday mornings instead of cartoons. I knew then that I would somehow cook in my life. My parents and aunts/uncles inspired me to cook and try new foods. I started cooking for my family and friends when I was in high school. My method of cooking is simply having fun with it and experimenting with different ingredients and cooking methods. I then pursued a Culinary Arts Degree at Diablo Valley College and recieved my Bachelors in Hospitality Management at Cal Poly Pomona. I am actively pursuing my dream of having my own business within a year, so look out for me!


Hometown: Vallejo/Bay Area, CA
Current Residence: Pasadena, CA
WebsiteThe Foodie Concierge

Occupation: Owner and Founder of The Foodie Concierge; Catering Cook/Server and Cafeteria Manager

What inspires you to make adobo or Filipino food? Is there someone in your family who influenced your love for cooking?
What inspires me to make adobo and Filipino food is just my sheer love of cooking and feeding my family and friends. I enjoy taking a recipe and making it my own by adding or taking out ingredients and changing the cooking methods if necessary. I would have to say my parents and aunts influenced me the most in my love for cooking. My dad mostly inspired me to be creative with food, he always made breakfast in the morning for me and my brother and it was always something different and non typical.


If you can share your adobo or any Filipino food with anyone passed on or alive, who would it be?
I would love to have shared my cooking with my grandparents, especially on my dad's side. My dad told me so many stories of all the fabulous food my grandparents cooked and made me wish I would have known them when they were alive. I would love to have learned from them first hand how to make all their delicious food.


What is a special memory you have about Filipino food?
When I was in high school, I was in charge of feeding my family because I would be the first one home. I remember for the longest time I would really only cook nilaga because it was so easy and fast to cook.  I just added different vegetables or meat every time. Then my dad would slowly introduce me to other things and made sure I knew how to "guisa" with the "trinity" as he called it (garlic, onion, and tomato). From then on, I just experimented with food and tried to mimic the flavors as close as possible. I also tried to increase flavor without having to increase salt or sugar because my parents (like most Filipinos) have high blood pressure and diabetes. 



What do you want patrons to experience when they eat your food? 
My friends love my pancit, I make it very simple. Growing up, I absolutely loved pancit and til this day, I'll eat any version of it!  My menu that I am creating will feature typical Filipino food items, just served or prepared differently from the traditional way.

 I want my patrons to feel the love I put into the food and go away feeling satisfied and full. Of course I want them to crave my food so that they will share with their family and friends and return to satisfy their craving.

What do you call your adobos?
I have a family nickname, "Boo", so I named them "Adoboos." I am sharing with you the crispy pork belly adoboo with adoboo gravy, braised chicken adoboo served with adoboo egg, and crispy popcorn chicken adoboo.


What makes your adobos special?
My adoboos are simple and hearty, just like me!

I'm like most home cooks, I "tancha tancha," and don't really measure. I adjust as I go along when I cook. I like to keep my food simple and tasty, so my version of adobo only includes the typical five ingredients: soy sauce, white vinegar, garlic, bay leaves, and black pepper.

The taste always varies by the brand of soy sauce and vinegar.  I like to crush my garlic before putting it in the marinade.  For the most part, I use equal parts of soy sauce and vinegar and add lots of garlic.  I also use dark meat and fresh ground black pepper.  As far as the cooking methods go, there are so many ways you can do it, so have fun with it!

I got the idea to add a hard boiled egg from my cousin, Ate Baby, who said that adding hard boiled eggs are the poor man's adobo (as there isn't enough chicken, so eggs are added protein).  After my first time having it, I was hooked!

The best way to make the perfect hard boiled egg is to start with a single layer of eggs in a pot covered completely with cold water.  Bring the pot to a boil and start timing as soon as it boils, 12 minutes.  Once 12 minutes have passed, immediately drain the hot water and submerge the eggs in ice cold water.  Let them cool and then peel.  An easy way to peel is to tap the the ends to crack and then roll the egg,  The peel comes off a lot more easy.



Will the adobos you are sharing here be found on a menu that the public may enjoy?
The adoboos that I am showing for Project:Adobo will be featured on my menu when my business takes off, which will be in the spring/summer of 2014!

crispy popcorn chicken adoboo

What has been the most challenging part of starting your own Filipino food business?
For me personally, it has been a monetary challenge. I am stubborn and want to start the business on my own, but slowly I am seeking help from others. I have so many ideas of what I would like to do, just narrowing it down has also been challenging.

I am not a certified chef, but I absolutely love to cook and entertain for my family and friends. I currently work with various well known catering companies throughout Los Angeles, mostly as a banquet server. I love being able to see and taste foods I would never have had the chance of experiencing if I didn't work for these various catering companies.

crispy pork belly adoboo with adoboo gravy

Where do you think Filipino food will go in the next few years? 
I am so proud to see the generation of Filipino Americans who not only embrace the Filipino cuisine, but also strive to take it to another level that non Filipinos can relate to. I think that Filipino cuisine is like the soul food of Asia and when love is put into a dish, the diner will truly feel it. So many of my fellow Filipinos in this generation have been exposed to so many different cuisines. I hope that my business will help bring Filipino food to the mainstream.

braised chicken adoboo served with adoboo egg


Comments