Gluten-Free, Vegan Pumpkin Apple Quick Bread


I was seriously considering not posting this recipe.  I do my best to eat with the seasons, and as such, I also do my best to share recipes that reflect this practice.  But as a fellow blogger mentioned on a recent post, "It's always pumpkin season in my opinion"  And when I take a step back, do I seriously think that people are only making my recipes around the date that I post them?  And so I will take that cue from her and nod my head emphatically in agreement as I present today's recipe.

Inspired by a kindred spirit's love for apples, this quick bread makes a wonderful dessert, breakfast, and/or snack.  

No matter what time of year you choose to enjoy it. 



Spiced Pumpkin Apple Quick Bread
Gluten-Free & Vegan

Active Prep Time:  5 minutes
Inactive Prep Time:
Baking Time: 40-55 minutes
Yield:  One 9x5 loaf

1 tablespoon whole psyllium husk or ground chia powder
3 tablespoons warm water

1/2 c  (2 1/2 oz) buckwheat flour
1/2 c (2 oz)  gluten free oat flour
1/2 c  (2 oz) teff flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda 
1/2 teaspoon salt

scant 1 c (9 oz) unsweetened pumpkin puree
1/2 c (2 oz) coconut sugar
1/4 c (2 oz) melted coconut oil
2 tablespoons (1 1/2 oz) molasses
1/2 c (4 oz) unsweetened applesauce
1/2 c (2 oz) diced apple (I recommend a firm, crisp apple, like a Pink Lady, Honeycrisp, or Granny Smith)

pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries, to garnish
coconut oil, for greasing pan

What you'll need:  one small bowl, two medium mixing bowls, whisk, spatula, one 9x5 inch loaf pan

1.  Make psyllium or chia "egg" by combining psyllium and warm water in small bowl and allowing to hydrate for about 3 minutes.  It will turn gelatinous and thick.
2.  In the meantime, combine dry ingredients in one mixing bowl and whisk thoroughly until incorporated and uniform in appearance.
3.  Do the same for the wet ingredients and diced apple in the other bowl, folding them together with the spatula until combined.  Add "egg" to wet ingredients.
4.  Gradually add dry mixture to wet mixture until you form a thick batter.
5.  Lightly grease your loaf pan with coconut oil and add batter, tapping loaf pan on the counter a few times when finished to minimize large air bubbles.
6.  Sprinkle cranberries and pumpkin seeds over the top and lightly tap into the surface.
7.  Place in center of oven and bake for 40-55 minutes, rotating pan midway through baking.  You are looking for a dark blonde to deep golden brown color and a matte appearance on top.  In different trials, I varied between applesauce and pureed pineapple and psyllium and chia powder and while I found great variation in color of the finished loaf, flavor did not seem to vary much at all. [rubs chin and says, "Hmmmmm."]
8.  Remove from oven when finished and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes in pan before turning out onto a cooling rack.  Allow to cool completely before serving for best flavor.  Can be frozen, if desired, to enjoy on a rainy day in the near future or when you're pressed for time and need a dessert on the fly.

Honeycrisp apple:  Lives up to the hype.

Mix it up!

Garnish in place and ready to go.

Golden brown and smelling all kinds of wonderful.

I know it's been a while since my last post, so I appreciate you hanging in there with me.  Life is just happening at quite a clip right now, and as much as I love writing this blog, I knew that stressing about it in addition to everything else that is happening could have been the straw drifting towards the camel's back.  So I simply let it go and reminded myself to breathe, knowing that whatever time I would choose to come back would be the right time:  not out of obligation, not out of fear, not out of guilt.  I would do it because I wanted to, which brings me here to this moment.

On the even brighter side, amidst the whirlwind of things that have occupied me since last posting, I have found a great deal of inspiration.  And with that, excitement, to write and to share my thoughts.  Please stay tuned, and as always, Thank You so much for reading and sharing in this canary's journey.

Have a bite.

Comments