Avocado Kale Banana Smoothie


One of the most common requests I receive is for me to share more smoothie recipes.  A quick and easy breakfast, midday pick-me-up, or post workout recovery meal, I can understand the demand.  And with so many smoothie shops and juice bars proudly flaunting concoctions with epic ingredient lists, I can also understand the mystique and intimidation of making smoothies at home.

But no need to fear; I've got your back.

Over the colder, darker months, smoothies can understandably ride the bench in favor of warmer, heartier dishes and fresh juices.  But with the impending shift towards Spring, seeing perennial flowers and leaf buds beginning to crown trees and shrubs and feeling the sun's desire to linger longer and longer each day, smoothies are already starting to get more rotations in my kitchen.  So today I am sharing a super simple green smoothie recipe with some of my favorite ingredients that is delicious, satisfying, and healthful.

It makes me happy, and I hope it will do the same for you. 
[cue cabbage patch and running man dance combo music]



Avocado Kale Banana Smoothie
Gluten-Free & Vegan

Active Prep Time:  less than 5 minutes
Inactive Prep Time:  none
Blending Time:  25-45 seconds
Yield:  one 12-14 oz smoothie

8-10 oz unsweetened nondairy coconut or nutmilk 
1 banana, chopped and frozen
1/3-1/2 c raw kale, torn
2 tablespoons hemp protein powder
dash of salt

1/2 small avocado

What you'll need:  liquid measuring cup, blender

1.  Combine all ingredients except avocado and blend for 15-20 seconds, or until well combined.
2.  Add avocado and blend for an additional 10-15 seconds, or until well combined.  Note:  Be sure to avoid blending the avocado too long, as its bounty of healthy fats (which serve awesome cardiovascular, blood sugar regulatory, and anti-inflammatory benefits) will emulsify, and eventually will begin to whip up like a mousse.  Still delicious, but smoothie-like?  Not so much.
3.  Pour, savor, and enjoy.

Ready…Set…Blend!

Commence avocado magic.

Beautiful and vibrant.

And remember what I said about the "epic ingredient lists" of those fancy smoothies?  Well, while this smoothie is pretty awesome and fancy to begin with, please give yourself permission to  further fancify to your heart's content.  Here is a list of things that I personally love to add to this smoothie recipe:  maca powder, cinnamon, moringa, turmeric, frozen berries, a pinch of cayenne, coconut or hemp oil, fresh cilantro, a squeeze of lime, toasted coconut flakes, etc.  Sometimes I add a couple of these things, sometimes I add them all:  It all depends on what I feel my body needs at that time to help sustain it and propel it towards its goals.  And that is really the key here:  Offering the body and mind nutrition that will serve it in the best way possible.  Not only delicious and satisfying, but functional and mindful.

Warning:  It won't last long.

And if you'd like to see me in action, making this smoothie and talking you through picking a perfect avocado, please check out the video below - a nutritional segment shot by Texas Made Productions for FXFit.  




Have a beautiful and truly blessed day.  Love and Light Always.

Comments