"Apple Pie" Overnight Oats & Chia Porridge


I have a long, pleasant memory-filled history with oats.  During the Michigan Winters, I would always use two of those instant oatmeal packets to make mine extra thick and hearty (Peaches & Cream and Brown Sugar were my favorites).  Granola, crisp and sweet, was a later addition after moving to Texas, and thoroughly enjoyed in a bowl of coconut milk, over ice cream, or out of hand as a snack.  And oatmeal cookies  - that dessert that hearkens to breakfast, thus making it most important - have always been my favorite.

So when I began coming across posts of "Overnight Oats in a Jar" on Instagram, I was initially quite confused.  To the point, actually, where I thought the hashtag of "raw" was a mistake.  Uncooked oats?  For real?  The idea had just never crossed my mind.  How would that taste?  And more importantly for me, what would the texture be like?  I was, in a word, "doubtful." [cue side eye]

But, having slowly integrated certified gluten-free oats back into my diet without serious complaints from my gut, I decided to challenge myself and give it a go.

And the result, I am happy to say, did not disappoint.  Super easy to make?  Check.  Packed chock full with nutrition, health benefits, great texture, and flavor?  Check.  Easier for my body to digest than cooked oats?  Surprising check.  Satisfying and sustaining at the beginning of a day or after a workout?  Check.  Worthy of carrying on the tradition of my newly invigorated oat-love?  

Absolute Check.



"Apple Pie" Inspired Overnight Oat & Chia Porridge 
Gluten-Free & Vegan

Active Prep Time:  Less than 5 minutes
Inactive Prep Time:  At least 4 hours
Cooking Time:  None
Yield:  approximately 16 oz

1/2 c certified gluten-free oats
2/3 c non-dairy milk or water
1/2 c So Delicious Greek style cultured coconut "yogurt"
1/3 c unsweetened applesauce
1/4 c diced apple
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
dash pink salt

What you'll need:  pint-sized mason jar with lid

1.  Combine all ingredients in mason jar.
2.  Close lid securely and shake to combine all ingredients thoroughly.  Feel free to play dance music while doing this.  Note:  Make sure your hands are not sweaty or wet when you do this.  Take it from me.
3.  Transfer to refrigerator to chill for at least 4 hours, if not overnight.  All the liquid will absorb into the oats and chia and thicken the mixture considerably.
4.  Either enjoy straight from the jar or in a bowl garnished with your favorite, power-packed fixings.


All aboard!

Layers of beautiful, healthy flavors.

SHAKE it up!

Set it and Forget it (for at least 4 hours, that is…).

Could that be any simpler?  A one-mason jar meal that requires no heat - yes, please.  And if early mornings are part of your everyday, this is a great breakfast to make/shake right before going to bed so you can wake up to a beautiful breakfast to literally just grab and go.  No stress.

To top it all off, this recipe is super adaptable.  If Greek style yogurt is not available or just not your thing, feel free to make it up with more applesauce, non-dairy milk, or water for a more fluid consistency.  Sub frozen or fresh fruit for the apple.  You can trade out some of the oats with dried coconut flakes, sunflower seeds, or rolled quinoa.  And while I, personally, don't find that additional sweetener is necessary, you can certainly add some maple syrup, coconut palm sugar, or you favorite jam or jelly to mix.

Who knew that overnight oats could be so delicious, healthful, and exciting?

Color me doubtful no more.



Comments